When is our website accessible?
When it is easy to
Our website also has to work well with all
- search engines
- internet browsers
- devices (touchscreen, smartphone, PC, Mac).
Which requirements should an accessible website meet?
An accessible website must meet the digital accessibility requirements of the Dutch government. These requirements are included in a decision of the government from May 2018. You can find this decision at the following link:
Tijdelijk besluit Digitale Toegankelijkheid
Does our website meet all the accessibility requirements?
Our website does not yet meet all the accessibility requirements. Below are seven of the most important components which do not yet comply:
- It is not possible to use the tab key to navigate.
- Not all texts are easy to scan or read in a logical order.
- Not all images or infographics have an alternative text.
- Users of reading software cannot always have our website read aloud.
- Pdfs are not always easy to read or search, or cannot always be easily read by software.
- Some video files do not have subtitles, a transcript, or audio description.
- Sometimes the colour and contrast of images mean they are not easy to see.
What is the IND doing to improve accessibility?
Among other things, we are working on technical updates. We are rewriting texts and adding subtitles, transcripts, or audio descriptions to videos. In this way, we are doing our best to meet all the accessibility requirements.
Are you having problems with accessibility on ind.nl?
Have you had a problem with the accessibility of our website? Or do you have a question or comment about accessibility? Please contact us by sending an e-mail to
What can you expect from us?
- You will receive a confirmation that we received your e-mail within 5 working days.
- We will explain what we will do with your question or comment and what the outcome is.
- We will process your question or comment within 3 weeks.
What if you are not satisfied?
Not happy with how your question or comment has been handled? Or what if we did not respond on time? Then you can
contact the National Ombudsman. This website is only available in Dutch.