Date 3 September 2021
Re Final call! Apply asap to secure your legal residency
We have written to you on several occasions. However, you still have not applied for residency in the Netherlands under the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement (WA). Whatever you think of Brexit, you must act now. Your rights under the WA do not automatically give you residency. You can only continue to live, work and study in the Netherlands if you apply for, and are granted, residency.
Apply by latest 30 September 2021 or you will lose legal residency!
Apply quickly and easily online by latest 30 September 2021 on www.ind.nl/Brexit. Do not wait until you have all your documents (for example if you are waiting for documents to be legalised). If you do not apply in time, you will lose legal residency.
Serious consequences of losing legal residency
If you do not apply for residency by 30 September 2021 at the very latest, you will be registered by all Dutch government organisations as living in the Netherlands illegally. These are just some of the serious consequences you could face.
- You will be working here illegally. Your employer can be fined.
- You will no longer be insured for social security. Any social benefits you receive now will be ended (e.g. AOW, ANW, WW, invalidity or incapacity insurance).
- If you are a student, tuition fees will be ended.
- You will not be eligible to continue your health insurance or to receive health care anymore.
- You and possibly also members of your household will no longer receive other social benefits (e.g. social welfare benefits; health care or housing allowance; childcare and supplementary child benefits).
- You will not be able to take out a mortgage.
- You will have to leave the country.
Last call to arrange your residency
It is still a priority for the Dutch government to help UK citizens and their family to arrange their residency under the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement. However, we cannot help you if you do not take action yourself. That is why we again urge you to apply for residency immediately and before the final deadline.
Still have questions after reading our website? You can call our Brexit line up to and including 30 September. It is available on weekdays from 9.00 to 17.00 on +31 (0)88 04 30410.
Signed on behalf of the Minister for Migration by
[ ] Director Regular Residence and Dutch Citizenship