• Home
  • Apply for a temporary residence document

Apply for a temporary residence document

You have been living in the Netherlands for less than 5 years. You are a United Kingdom (UK) national, or the family member of a UK national. During the transition period, you can continue to live in the Netherlands under the provisions of the Withdrawal Agreement. Would you also like to continue living here after 31 December 2020? First you will receive an invitation letter from the IND. Then you can apply for a temporary residence document on this website.

*Are you a UK national travelling to live in the Netherlands after 31 January 2020 (Brexit) but before 1 January 2021? Then you come under the provisions of the Withdrawal Agreement. From 1 January 2021 you will need a residence document to continue to live in the Netherlands. During the transition period, the IND will send an invitation to UK nationals to submit an application. Make sure that you will receive an invitation.

Are you the family member of a UK national travelling to live in the Netherlands with the UK national? Find out what you need to do on our web page Family Reunification after Brexit.

Click on the following important links to quickly find what you are looking for:

Apply online
Written application
What you need to submit an application online
Documents for online application

Apply online

You can submit this application online. The main applicant must be a UK national. You can apply at the same time for your spouse or (registered) partner and your children under 18.

Dutch nationals cannot apply for their British spouse, partner or children. You can of course help your British family member(s) to complete the form online. Your British family member may need to provide information about your income to support their application.

Start the online application by clicking on the button below.

Important tips regarding your application:

  • Submit your application on time: within 4 weeks of receiving an invitation from the IND.
  • Do not delay your application: only then can the IND decide on your application and those of your fellow UK citizens on time.
  • Without a residence document you cannot continue to live, work and study in the Netherlands after 31 December 2020.
  • Call the Brexit phone line if you cannot submit your application on time on
    +31 (0)88 04 30410.
  • The IND is still reviewing and deciding on applications during the coronavirus crisis.
  •  Completing the online application form and looking for United Kingdom in the country drop-down list? Please select Great Britain.

Apply online

Written application

In these circumstances you may have to submit a written application:

  • You are a family member of a UK national who does not need to submit an application for themselves or already has a (EU permanent or other) residence document.
  • You are the family member of a UK national who has already submitted an online application as main applicant for their partner and other member(s) of your family. The IND will contact you if we do not receive applications from one household at the same time.
  • You cannot submit an online application.

Find out more under Application forms and costs below.


Conditions are legal requirements. Check the conditions by clicking on this link:

What you need to submit your application online

Before starting your online application, make sure that you have all the following. You can submit an application at the same time for other family members. Marke sure you also have their documents.

  1. DigiD with sms code; or DigiD app. If you do not yet have a DigiD, apply for it on www.digid.nl/en. If you have a DigiD, but have not yet set up the identity check with sms, you can activate this on MijnDigiD. For help with DigiD, visit this website (available in several different languages (Dutch, English, French and Arabic). Read the explanation about the DigiD app for more information (in Dutch and English).
  2. iDEAL (online payment method) to pay for your application. You need a Dutch bank account to set this up.
  3. Scanned copy of the pages of your passport showing your personal details and period of validity saved on your computer or phone (any format).
  4. Scanned copy of any other documents you need to upload (see below).
  5. Citizen Service Number (BSN).
  6. Optional: V-number. You can find this on your invitation letter. Do not worry if you cannot find it. You can still submit your application. A V-number is a unique identification number used by the IND. It will also appear on your residence document.

Documents for online application

The online application explains which documents you need to upload. Which documents you need to present depends on your purpose of residence in the Netherlands:

  • Employment / employee
  • Self-employed
  • You are not working and have sufficient resources to support yourself
  • Study

Document checklist

The IND is asking you for documents so we can assess your application.

The following documents must be uploaded for everyone for whom an application is submitted:

  • Pages of passport showing personal details and document validity.

Additional documents are required depending on the reason for your residence in the Netherlands, such as:

  • Employment / employee: contract of employment. Or employer's declaration completed and signed by your employer.
  • Self-employed entrepreneur: extract (uittreksel) from the Chamber of Commerce and the most recent (provisional) tax assessment and income tax return from the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration. Or, if you do not have tax documents yet: balance sheet, profit and loss account, annual accounts or monthly operating results. Or financial statements  that have been officially drawn up by an accountant.
  • You are not working and have sufficient resources: a health insurance policy or card. And documents showing that you have sufficient resources, for example:
    • overviews of your savings, pension, shares portfolio, inheritance, maintenance or rental income from property; or
    • financial details of the person you maintain or income details of your spouse or partner.
  • Study: registration at the educational institution, documents showing you have sufficient resources and health insurance card or policy.

The online application explains which documents to upload in each case. 

UK documents

  • Documents drafted by diplomatic or consular officials do not have to be legalised during or after the transition period. You can use these documents directly in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
  • From 1 January 2021, all other documents from the UK need to be legalised with an apostille. An apostille is a sort of stamp or sticker placed on your document. Legalised documents can be used in the Netherlands. Contact the British authorities to have your documents legalised.

You can find more information about legalising documents from the UK on https://www.netherlandsworldwide.nl (legalisation of foreign documents for use in the Netherlands).

Official foreign documents

All official foreign documents must be legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German. For more information about legalisation requirements for documents by country visit https://www.netherlandsworldwide.nl. Or call the Public Information Service on 1400.


This application costs ​€58.

The cost for children under 18 is ​€31.

Steps in the application process

1. Submit application and pay

First you will receive an invitation letter from the IND. Then you can submit an application for a residence document. Click on the apply online button above to submit your application. You need to pay the fee at the same time. You will immediately receive a message by email. This is proof of your online application.

Would you like to submit a written application? Download the application form below. Send the completed application form and documents to the IND by post. When the IND receives your application, you will receive a letter from the IND. This letter will explain how you can pay for the application.

2. Receipt and application check

After your application has been received, the IND will send you a letter. This is an acknowledgment of receipt. The letter states the date on which the IND received your application. It also states the legal decision period. This is the period within which the IND has to decide on your application.

Have you received the acknowledgment of receipt? Then make an appointment online as soon as possible to have your biometric data taken. Without your biometrics, the IND cannot prepare your residence document.

The IND will then check to see if your application is complete. Are any documents missing or incorrect? Then the IND will send you a request to rectify the omission. This letter lists the documents that you still need to send to the IND. Send them before the date indicated. You can also upload the required documents via the home page of the IND website.

My IND and Message Box (Berichtenbox)

Follow the status of your application in My IND. Did you also register to receive messages from the IND digitally in your Message Box (Berichtenbox) on mijn.overheid.nl? And did you provide your e-mail address? Than you will receive an e-mail when you have new mail from the IND.

3. Decision

The IND checks if you meet all the necessary conditions. The conditions are the legal provisions that apply.

By law, the decision period for this application is 6 months. The is the time within which the IND has to decide on your application.

Negative decision

If you do not meet the conditions, you will not receive a temporary residence document. This decision will be provided in the formal decision. You can register an objection to the decision.

Positive decision

If you meet all the conditions, you will be given a temporary residence document. You will receive a letter from the IND when you can collect your residence document.

Application forms and costs
Application Residence document Withdrawal Agreement6530

Please, use this form for the application for a Residence document Withdrawal Agreement for UK nationals and family members.

The application form lists the documents that you have to enclose with the application. 

You have to have official foreign documents legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German.

How to send documents to the IND:

  • Only send copies of your documents, single-sided and on A4 paper.
  • The copies must be complete and legible (clear enough to be read).
  • Write your V-number or client number on each copy. If you do not know these numbers, then please write your name and date of birth on each copy.
  • Do not send USB sticks, CDs or DVDs.
  • You keep the original documents yourself.

Costs application

This application costs ​€58.

The cost for children under 18 is ​€31.

Apply online  Download  

After the application

Collect your residence document

The IND aims to have your residence document ready within 2 weeks following the positive decision. The IND will send you a letter when you can collect your residence document. For this, you have to make an appointment online. Keep in mind that it is not always possible to visit an IND desk at short notice. Therefore, please make an appointment in time.

Check to see if the information on your residence document is correct while you are still at the IND desk. If something is incorrect, please inform the IND staff member at once.

Validity of residence document

​Your residence document is valid for 5 years. If you have lawfully lived for 5 consecutive years in the Netherlands, you can apply for a permanent residence document.

Register in the BRP at your town hall

​If you intend to stay in the Netherlands for more than 4 months, you must go in person to register in the Personal Records Database (BRP) at the town hall where you are going to live.

To register, you need a legalised and translated birth certificate. Therefore take this with you when you travel to the Netherlands.

Take out health insurance

Everyone living in the Netherlands must take out health insurance within 4 months of arriving in the Netherlands.

Right to work

​You are allowed to work in the Netherlands. This is stated on the back of your residence permit. Your employer does not need to have a work permit TWV for you. Your residence permit states arbeid vrij toegestaan, TWV niet vereist (work allowed free from restrictions, work permit not required).

Claiming public funds

​Are you receiving money from your local council, for example social welfare benefits? Then you are claiming public funds. In such a case, the IND could decide that you may no longer live in the Netherlands. Did you ask your local council for benefits after living here legally for 5 years? Then this does not affect your right to live in the Netherlands.

More information about living and working in the Netherlands is available on the website of the SZW Inspectorate. This is available in several languages.

Subsequent applications (extend or change)

​Replace residence document

Has your residence document been damaged, lost or stolen? In that case, have your residence document replaced.

Extend residence permit

Is your residence document due to expire soon? Apply for an extension.

Permanent residence

If you have been lawfully resident in the Netherlands for a continuous period of 5 years or more, you can request a permanent residence document. The time that you can live here under the Withdrawal Agreement counts towards the period of 5 years.

Become a Dutch citizen

After 5 years' lawful residence in the Netherlands, you can apply for Dutch citizenship. The time that you can live here under the Withdrawal Agreement counts towards the period of 5 years.

DigiD with SMS code

Nowadays you can arrange many things yourself on government websites. With DigiD you log in to your personal account on government websites. Your DigiD consists of a username and password that you both choose yourself. Don't have a DigiD yet? Request this on www.digid.nl.

​To apply for a residence permit online you need to have a DigiD with SMS code. After logging in with your DigiD you will receive an SMS with a code. You will have to fill out this code as well to get access to the online application forms.

Do you have a DigiD but no SMS code verification? Please go to Mijn DigiD and log in. Choose 'Extra sms-controle aanvragen' and enter your mobile phone number. Within 5 days you receive a letter with an activation code. Activate the sms control functionality on the website of DigiD with this activation code.


​A TWV is a work permit. The employer applies for a TWV with UWV (Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency). UWV examines among other things if there is no employee with the Dutch, EU/EEA or Swiss nationality that is qualified for the job.